Saturday, May 21, 2016

Day Zero - Taking Charge

As expected, breaking the news to everyone when I arrived home brought me nothing but support.  My composure remained calm.  Perhaps my experience of being laid off from my previous job, being divorced twice and windowed once has desensitized me to these spontaneous life changing events.

Before putting a whole lot of thought into the future my instincts are to take care of the "now".

Step one was to figure out how the Connecticut State unemployment compensation system works.  Was happy to see that it could be done online and that was the preferred method.  Unfortunately the website is only available during business hours.  Really?  At least I was able to browse the informational parts of the site and learn about the process.  Oddly it appears that there is no way to do the process entirely online and that it would involve some phone time as well.  Looks like tomorrow is getting filled quickly.

I'm very confident that I will be working again in short order.  But the realist in me knows that confidence doesn't always equate to success and so many events outside of my control can affect the process.  So it's time to prepare for the worst case scenario.

Rather than getting wrapped up in fine detail, I opt for pencil and paper over spreadsheet to refine my budget in such a way to lessen the urgency in finding new employment.  I want to have enough time to find a position that will be a good fit and mutually rewarding for everyone.  I figure I have a good 15-year run left in me and my next position will be the one I will retire from.

A deep sleep will be elusive but my body is physically drained.  An early night it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment